About this notice
This privacy notice explains how we collect, use and protect your personal data, and the rights you have with regards to that data. This privacy notice applies to all applicants for, and customers of, Help to Buy through us as an appointed agent of the scheme.
Who we are
Help to Buy Agent 2 have been contracted on behalf of Homes England (the trading name of the Homes and Communities Agency).
Homes England are the data controller of the personal data processed. This means that they are responsible for deciding how we collect, use and store your personal data. Please refer to Homes England’s main privacy notice for further information on how they process personal data for other purposes.
Information we collect
We collect personal data about you throughout the Help to Buy application process.
We collect, store and use the following categories of personal data:
- Name(s) of applicant(s)
- Address at the point of application
- Contact details
- Address details of the property to be purchased
- Name of the Help to Buy provider you are purchasing from
- Details of the date of build and completion dates
- Build type and layout of the property to be purchased
- Contact details of your conveyancing solicitor
- Contact details of your financial advisor or mortgage broker
- Cost of the property you are purchasing
- Financial information (such as bank details, and income(s)
How we process your information
We use the personal data stated above for the following purposes:
- To assist you to progress your Help to Buy application.
- Assessing your application.
- Deciding as to whether to accept your application.
- Verifying your identity.
- Passing your data to our mortgage administrator, on completion of a successful application.
What lawful basis do we have to process your personal data?
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. This is called the lawful basis. In regards to the above purposes, we rely on the following lawful basis:
- When processing is necessary for the performance of a contract or when processing is required prior to entering into a contract with you;
- When processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us, for example, for one of our statutory functions;
- When processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- Consent regarding marketing material.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent where this is required or permitted by law.
Who is the information shared with?
We share your data with the following third parties;
- Homes England
- The Help to Buy: Equity Loan mortgage administrator
- Conveyancing solicitors
These organisations act as a “data controller”. For more information on how these organisations process your personal data, please read their own privacy notices.
We may transfer your personal information outside the EU. If we do, you can expect a similar degree of protection in respect of your personal information
Where is your personal data stored and processed?
All personal data collected is stored and processed by Help to Buy Agent 2 within the European Economic Area (EEA).
How long do we keep your personal data?
If you enter into or took steps to enter into a contract, we will store the data for period of six years for compliance with our general legal obligations and for the exercise or defence of any legal claims.
Where a solution was not entered, we will delete your information 12 months after the date you decide not to progress.
Marketing and other communications
If you have chosen to opt-in to our marketing communications (such as signing up to our newsletter), we will use your information to inform you about products and services available from us which may be of interest to you.
To help us understand if our emails are relevant, we often receive a confirmation when you open an email from us, if your computer supports such capabilities, where you have explicitly opted-in to this service.
You have a right to opt-out of our communications at any time (provided they are not specific to the functioning of any plan with us). You can opt-out by contacting the Data Protection Officer.
Please note that this data privacy notice only applies to this website and the Help to Buy schemes we offer.
We are not responsible for, and have no control over, information that is submitted to or collected by third parties, such as those where our website may provide links to third party sites.
Since we do not control those websites, you are responsible for reviewing and abiding by the privacy policies of these third-party sites to ensure they comply with the applicable data protection regulations.
Under data protection legislation, in certain circumstances you have the following rights over the processing of your personal data as described in this notice:
- right of access to personal data;
- right to correction or rectification;
- right to request deletion; and
- right to data portability.
As the data controller, Homes England must respond to a request to exercise these rights within one month. If you would like to submit a request, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Data Protection Officer
The contact details for our data protection officer are as follows:
By post: For the attention of the Data Protection Officer, Homes England, Windsor House, 50 Victoria Street, London , SW1H 0TL
By email: DPO@homesengland.gov.uk
By Phone: 0300 1234 500
If you are unhappy with any aspect of this privacy notice, or how your personal data is being processed, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
If you are still not happy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113